Recipes from India from Marigold Secrets by Charlotte Marsh
Charlotte is from New Zealand. Her mentor and teachers took a trip to India with Secret Projects and return with so much enthusiasm and joy. Charlotte a keen traveller herself lapped up their stories and photographers. She felt inspired to combine them in a book with recipes from her favourite cooks and from Nirmala, a great friend of Secret Projects. The book is called Marigold Secrets and we hope that you enjoy cooking your own India food with the recipes below.
This is a super speedy dosa recipe adaptaed from Nadia Lim's Vegeful. These make for a quick dinner and delicious dosas in just 30 mintutes.
Serve with Potato Masala and chutney
Serves 4 (2 dosa per person) / Diary Free / Vegan
Time 10 mins prep + 20 mins
1 cup chickpea flour
1/2 cup plain flour
1/2 cup of rice and gluten flour
1 tbs mustard seed
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
450-500 ml water
Oil to cook
1. Place flours, mustard seeds, baking soda and salt in a large mixing bowl.
2. Whisk in the water until you have a smooth runny consistency similar to pouring cream.
3. Heat a drizzle of oil in a large non-stick frying pan on a medium to high heat and rub the oil across the pan with a paper towel.
4. Add 1/2 cup of batter to the pan while twisting and swirling the pan to spread the batter evenly in a thin layer.
5. When the surface is covered in bubbles flip the dosa over and cook the underside for a minute.
6. Transfer to a plate and serve.
Serves 4 / Gluten Free / Vegan
Time 40 minutes to prepare + 25 minutes to cook
300g potatoes, 1 cm dice, boiled for 5 minutes, drained and cooled
2 tbsp oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp channa dal or split gram, soaked in 1/4 cup hot water for 30 minutes
2 large onions, thinly sliced
2cm ginger, finely chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
1/2 cup water
3 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
1/4 tsp sugar (optional)
Salt as required
1. Place a large frying pan over a medium heat. Add oil and mustard seeds and let them splutter.
2. Add the chana dal or split gram and saute for 2-3 minutes on a low flame or till they turn light golden or golden.
3. Add the sliced onions, curry leaves, green chillies and ginger.
4. Saute until the onions soften and turn translucent.
5. Add the turmeric powder and mix very well.
6. Add water. Mix well and simmer for 2-3 minutes or till the mixture thickens a bit.
7. Add the boiled chopped potatoes and mix very well.
8. Season with salt. Also add 1/4 teaspoon sugar for a slight sweet taste (optional).
9. Simmer on a low flame for 3-4 minutes stirring occassionally. The water will reduce and the potato masala with thicken.
10. Remove from the heat and add chopped coriander leaves. The potato masala should be moist and easily spreadable on the dosa. Lay out dosa and top with potatoe mix, fold, or roll and serve.